KSL Sustainability and ESG Integration Strategy
KSL seeks to integrate ESG factors into investment and operating decisions to create and protect enduring value for our investors, as deemed appropriate and consistent with our commitments.
As a sector-specific firm dedicated to investing in Travel & Leisure businesses for more than 30 years, we are uniquely positioned to recognize environmental, social and governance risks and opportunities across the investment lifecycle.
We are committed to engaging our portfolio companies in ESG and actively partner across the Travel & Leisure industry to enhance internal resources and identify best practices.
Travel & Leisure businesses depend on healthy and inclusive communities, and we are committed to the well-being of the unforgettable communities in which we invest and the global community in which we operate.
Creating Enduring Value
KSL ESG Value Statement
As a firm of dedicated outdoor enthusiasts and investment professionals with headquarters in the Rocky Mountains, the principles of ESG and sustainability have been embedded in KSL's culture long before the acronym "ESG" solidified its place in the financial markets.
Our core values and investment philosophy are illustrated in our ESG Value Statement that reflects how we consider ESG across our investment portfolio:
At KSL, we invest in the unforgettable to create the enduring. We readily acknowledge that our investments can have both a positive and negative impact on the communities in which they operate.
We accept the challenge to mitigate the negative and to strengthen the positive, environmental, social and governance risks and impacts of our investments.
By doing so, we will enhance our ability to create enduring value for our investors, our employees, our guests and our neighbors in the communities in which we invest.
Commitment to Responsible Investment
KSL Responsible Investment Policy
Energy and Environment Alliance
Enhancing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Organization-Wide
We are committed to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion across our organization, empowering our employees and prioritizing both their personal and professional growth. We believe this enables everyone to reach their highest level of performance while also providing us with a competitive business advantage.
Our commitment to fostering an inclusive environment free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination whereby everyone feels appropriately supported and a sense of belonging is demonstrated through a range of approaches: engaging internal taskforces, diverse recruiting practices, providing ample resources to our diverse populations and leveraging partnerships with external diversity-focused organizations. These initiatives are all a critical step in the success of our firm, strengthening our culture and engaging stakeholders and partners.
To be diverse at all levels of our organization by attracting, hiring, developing, and retaining skilled and high potential employees from diverse talent pools
- 1:1 career coaching opportunities
- Internal mentorship program
To foster a culture of inclusiveness where everyone feels connected, supported, motivated and successful
- Firmwide trainings on Unconscious Bias and Anti-Harassment
- Established Women’s Network
- Employee hotline
To leverage our understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion to better serve our investors and our portfolio companies
- Annual tracking of demographic data by portfolio company
- Requirement that portfolio companies elevate ESG issues at the board level and develop an ESG strategic plan
- Recognize the disproportionate numbers of diverse candidates for entry-level roles and implementing strategic initiatives to support their progression to management positions
To identify and collaborate with diverse business and community partners
- Partnership with SEO (Sponsors for Educational Opportunity) a non-profit organization focused on closing the academic and career opportunity for motivated young people from underserved communities. We actively participate in the SEO Alternative Investments program and SEO Career program and host undergraduate summer interns from backgrounds traditionally not represented in the financial services industry
- Affiliation with Out Investors, a global organization that was founded with the mission to make the direct investing industry more welcoming for LGBT+ individuals
- In our local community, we continue to contribute to Minds Matter Colorado's fundraising and community-building efforts, most notably through the annual year end benefit event and mentorship programming. Minds Matter Colorado connects driven and determined students from low-income families with the people, preparation, and possibilities to succeed in college.
To develop systems that allow us to formalize our process and measure our success
- Tracking of Gender, Ethnicity, Age and Veteran Status across the organization (employees who wish to volunteer information about their inclusion in the LGBTQ+ community are invited to do so)
- Formation of DEI taskforce which reviews and executes overall DEI strategy and reports findings to Management Committee
- Annual employee engagement survey to measure progress and prompt firmwide action plans